Follow Us on TwitterJoin Us on Facebook

Information for Entering the U.S. and Canada

Information for Entering the U.S. and Canada

U.S. and Canadian Born Citizens

Adults: 19 years and older

U.S. and Canadian citizens19 years and older who enter the U.S. at land and sea ports of entry from within the Western Hemisphere need to present a passport issued by the U.S. Government, a passport card, a valid trusted traveler program card (FAST, NEXUS, or SENTRI), an enhanced driver’s license (EDL), a Military ID with official travel orders, or a U.S. Merchant Mariner Document. All persons entering the U.S. by air are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States. An EDL will not be accepted for air travel. A birth certificate will no longer be accepted as proof of citizenship.

Infants, Children and Teens: 0-18 years

All U.S. or Canadian Citizen children 15 and younger should have a copy of their birth certificate if traveling by land or sea. Teens between the ages of 16-18, if traveling as part of an adult-supervised school, religious, cultural or athletic group, are exempt from rules requiring a passport, although they will need to have a copy of their birth certificate, and the leader of the group should present a list of the children, etc. and sign a certification that they have received permission from a parent or guardian for all children in the group to go on the trip. If just traveling with friends or family, 16-18 year-olds will need a passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States - as will all other U.S. and Canadian citizens over the age of 15. If traveling by air, an unexpired Passport is required for everyone, including infants.

Naturalized U.S. Citizens

Are required to present a valid U.S. passport OR naturalization papers with photo I.D.

Lawful Permanent Residents

Are required to present a green card, OR permanent resident card OR passport and immigration visa.

Citizens of Countries Other Than the U.S. or Canada

Are required to show a passport and may also be required to show a Visitor’s Visa. Please check with the Canadian Consulate in your home country or call the number listed below to inquire about Visa requirements. It is the traveler’s responsibility to research/acquire the appropriate credentials for entering Canada and re-entering the United States.


Frequently Asked Questions

What is an Enhanced Driver License or Enhanced ID Card?

The EDL/ID meets federal requirements and best practices for travel documents. It is an approved alternative travel document, to a U.S. Passport, for reentry into the U.S. at land and sea borders between the U.S., Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. EDL/IDs can be obtained for $15 more than a driver license or ID card. Applications must be done in person at a participating Licensing Service Offices and you must be prepared to provide documentation to prove U.S. citizenship. Currently, EDL/IDs are only available in select states. For more details, visit the Washington State Department of Licensing web site at

How Can I Obtain a Passport?

United States citizens can visit the State Department's travel Web site, or call the U.S. National Passport Information Center: (877) 4USA-PPT; TDD/TTY: (888) 874-7793. Additionally, instructions for obtaining a passport are available through the U.S. Postal Service: Allow a sufficient amount of time to apply and receive the passport in advance of travel. Please allow 6 to 8 weeks for processing of the passport application. If you need to travel urgently and require a passport sooner, please visit the State Department web site for additional information.

Can a Minor Under 18 Travel Without Their Parents?

Minors may be able to travel to another country without either one of their parents, as long as they have a notarized written consent letter from both parents. Minors interested in traveling without their parents should contact the embassy to address admissibility questions.

I Have a DUI - Can I Enter the U.S. or Canada?

As a general rule, Canada does not allow persons with DUI's to enter their country, although they do have a process for applying for a waiver. Canadian Customs can be reached at (506) 636-5064. A DUI conviction is not grounds to deny entry into the U.S.

Duty Free Exemption - How Much Can I Bring Back?

Please review the publication "Know Before You Go" for duty exemptions.


Helpful Links:

U. S. Customs and Border Protection:
Department of Homeland Security:
U. S. Department of State:
US immigrations Visa Requirements:
Canadian Immigrations Visa Requirements:
Overcoming Criminal Inadmissibility into Canada:
Washington Enhanced Driver License / ID Card:
Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative Information:

All information provided on this page is for information only and is subject to change without notice. Tailor Made Tours, LLC, is not to be held responsible for any changes in international travel requirements not posted on this page, even if resulting in denial of entry. Please note that it is each traveler’s responsibility to be aware of any updates to this information, and carry the correct required documentation.